Monday, February 10, 2014

I Have A Problem

Ok, I admit it.  I'm a sock-a-holic.  The problem is that I have absolutely no desire to cure this addiction, and it seems to get worse all the time.  I've been knitting for 40 years.  I knitted for my children when they were babies, and actually, my 21-year old daughter still enjoys my knitted goodies.  I've knitted countless sweaters, hats, mittens and scarves, but my real addiction began a couple of years ago on a school trip.(I haven't mentioned that despite my addiction, I teach math to eighth graders every weekday.  This could be a whole other blog, and could also explain any grammatical errors you may see. Language Arts is NOT my strength!) I needed a portable project to knit on a bus filled with students headed for our nation's capital, Washington, D.C.  I have to admit that I had long admired the bright, colorful, self-striping effects of sock yarn, but for some reason, thought working a heel flap, turning a heel and creating a gussett were much too complicated for my amateur skill level. 

It was on a rainy day just before our departure date that I found some rainbow sock yarn at my local yarn shop that I just couldn't pass up.  The royal blue, cherry red, sunny yellow and bright green colors were too much for me, and thus began my addiction.  I did muddle my way through and finish those socks while on the trip.  The students were quite impressed that I could actually produce a wearable product from what to them resembled extra large toothpicks and a small ball of yarn.  They monitored my progress daily, anxious to see what had been accomplished, and see each part of the sock appear. (If only I could get them as interested in the pythagorean theorem or the quadratic formula!)

I still have have those socks, and I enjoy looking at them and laughing at the outcome.  I have come a long way since then.  I have learned LOTS of helpful hints and techniques along the way.  Now I can look at my finished producs and smile with satisfaction.

I hope to share my love of knitting on this blog, and share photos of my projects (which aren't all socks).  And by the way, I can't wait to get home, because I have yarn for three pairs of socks in transit.  Sock yarn is great because it fits in the mailbox, and is a happy surprise when you open the box!

No comments:

Post a Comment